Terry Crews Has Named His Alleged Abuser In An Emotional Interview
"I will not be shamed."
This article discusses sexual assault.
Back in October, actor Terry Crews tweeted assault allegations against an unnamed Hollywood executive. Now, he’s named his alleged abuser as talent agent Adam Venit, saying that the Weinstein scandal empowered him to come forward and name names.
In an interview with Good Morning America, Crews spoke about how Venit allegedly approached him at a party and groped his genitals repeatedly. “I have never felt more emasculated, more objectified,” Crews said. “I was horrified.”
It’s important that we understand abuse can happen to anyone, including giant strong men like Terry Crews. It is never the victim’s fault.
— Philip Ellis (@Philip_Ellis) October 10, 2017
Crews said that his immediate response to the incident was absolute rage. “And when I said rage, I felt like I could punch a hole in his head,” he said.
“But my wife told me three years earlier, she said, ‘Terry, you can never handle any situation like this with violence. You are a target. You are going to be baited and pulled if you react physically.’ That’s one thing I knew — being a large, African-American man in America, I would immediately be seen as a thug. But I’m not a thug, I’m an artist.”
So instead of reacting physically, Crews said he left the party with his wife soon after telling fellow actor Adam Sandler, who is represented by Crews, about the incident.
“I put it in the back of my head, and I understood why women everywhere had to let it go,” he said. “When the Weinstein thing started happening, I got PTSD. I was going, ‘oh my god, this exact thing happened to me. I understand why they won’t come forward.'” He likened the experience of trying to come forward with assault allegations to being a prisoner of war, searching for the right moment to escape.
“This the thing that a lot of people just don’t understand, and they end up blaming the victim,” he said. “I will not be shamed. I did nothing wrong. Nothing.”
Crews said he filed a police report about Venit last week, because he feels “people need to be held accountable”.
“This is the deal about Hollywood,” he said. “This is an abuse of power. This guy is one of the most powerful men in Hollywood, and he looked at me at the end as if ‘who’s going to believe you?’”
Venit has yet to respond to the allegations. His agency, William Morris Endeavor, have reportedly suspended him following an internal investigation.
You can watch the full interview below, though bear in mind it contains detailed descriptions of alleged sexual assault.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) 15 November 2017
If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.
Men can access anonymous confidential telephone counselling to help to stop using violent and controlling behaviour through the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.