Junkee Is Hiring! Come And Be Our New Music Editor
Come and work with us.
Australia’s leading youth content publisher, Junkee Media, has a rare and exciting opening for a Music Editor to join our editorial team in Surry Hills, Sydney.
Junkee launched four years ago with a remit to shake up Australia’s pop culture landscape. With a fresh take and unique attitude, Junkee quickly established itself as one of the most interesting new voices in Australian media. Junkee was named Media Brand of the Year at the Mumbrella Awards in its first year online, and its funny, smart, ballsy and interesting take on news, film, politics, TV and more has seen it develop a strong following.
Now we’re on the hunt for a full-time Music Editor to work across Music Junkee and inthemix, to help us grow our footprint and make an impact.
The Ideal Candidate
Will be an experienced editor and writer who loves all things music — from dance to pop, at home and abroad — and who has the ability to nail the right tone of each piece, producing consistently high-quality copy every time.
You will write, commission and edit daily content across a wide variety of topics, covering everything from daily music news, to big, impactful features and opinion pieces.
You’ll have a wide and diverse list of contacts to draw from in order to create highly engaging content that will stand out in a crowded marketplace, while keeping Junkee’s audience informed and entertained.
You will be well versed in social media and how to get your content seen as widely as possible, so a proven track record of amplifying content digitally will be looked upon very favourably.
You’ll also be able to write content that stands out from the crowd, with a keen nose for what makes a great story and the ability to find stories, angles and opinions that will most interest Junkee’s audience.
An obsessive love for correct grammar and an aversion to dangling modifiers is required. We’re looking for someone who has a unique tone of voice, can write a snappy headline and who knows the difference between clickable and clickbait.
We want someone who is passionate about telling stories that matter to Junkee’s young, highly engaged audience, and who loves what we do and wants to collaborate with a growing team as we look expand Junkee’s footprint across the news, entertainment and pop culture space.
- Commission and edit freelance content that engages our audience and complements the work produced by our in-house team
- Stay up to date and respond to the latest in Australian entertainment, pop culture and news
- Work with the Managing Editor, site editors and staff writers to make sure that all content is on brand, optimised for user experience and SEO, and executed to the highest standards.
- Implement best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style
- Sub-edit copy
- Amplify content through social media
The Ideal Applicant
- Tertiary qualification in communications, journalism, professional writing/editing or a related discipline
- At least three years’ experience in digital media, with a proven track record of producing highly engaging, impactful content
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in digital copywriting and editing
- Published examples of writing across Australian news and entertainment, publishers
- A deep knowledge of distributing content through social media including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and Tumblr.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment both autonomously and in a team
- Experience using Google Analytics and Facebook Insights to track content performance
Apply Here Before Wednesday, January 31
Due to the high volume of applications Junkee Media receives, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Apply here.