An Indigenous Boy Has Been Hospitalised After Violent Arrest By NSW Police

"No one being arrested should ever, ever be treated like this.”

Want more Junkee in your life? Sign up to our newsletter, and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook so you always know where to find us.

A 14-year-old Indigenous boy has been treated for injuries after an arrest by police in NSW.

— Content warning: This article contains footage that shows distressing injury and violence. —

The teenager sustained a head injury and was left bloodied during an operation in Coraki in the Richmond Valley Shire on Sunday. Video footage circulating online shows the boy coming in and out of consciousness while in handcuffs after he was pushed down into a concrete floor, and allegedly punched by officers.

“There is a way to handle it without excessive force, especially on our jarjums or any children for that matter,” said the boy’s aunty on Monday. “Enough is enough for our mob to be having to deal with police violence and brutality.”

A police incident report said that officers arrested and charged three teenagers as part of an ongoing investigation into several property offences in the state’s north, as part of Strike Force Impala.

A group of four people — including the 14-year-old, and a 13-year-old — were spotted with a crowbar and a piece on timber on the day, and fled upon sighting police, leading to an on-foot pursuit.

The older boy was taken to Lismore Base Hospital under police guard for treatment to a laceration to his head, before being released and taken to Lismore Police Station.

The boy was granted conditional bail to reappear at a children’s court in October on three charges.

“No one being arrested should ever, ever be treated like this,” a Twitter user commented on footage of the aftermath. “But to do this to a child is disgusting. I hope that young boy has no lasting health consequences.”

A spokesperson from NSW Police told Junkee that “officers from Richmond Police District will conduct a review into the incident” in relation to the boy’s injuries during the arrest. The boy’s family have sought legal help, as reported by ABC.