Guy Sebastian Blasts Federal Govt For Using Him Like A “Prop” In Arts Funding Announcement
"It was just a boxed that was ticked," Sebastian says of the failed emergency arts package.
Guy Sebastian has revealed he felt like he was used as a “prop” by the Australian government as part of their campaign to save the arts — and like, yep Guy, that’s what we were trying to tell you.
As noted by the Daily Mail, Sebastian appeared alongside the Prime Minister Scott Morrison in June of 2020, back when the government first announced it was going to provide financial aid to the sector in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. $250 million was initially promised to the industry, but by October of last year, it was revealed that the government had only allocated a “fraction” of that spending — $49.5 million, to be exact.
Sebastian spoke out then too, calling on the Prime Minister to explain the delay in funding allocation. “I have requested an update from the PM’s office about the current and future spend with regards to the arts package. Once I receive the most recent information, I will pass it on,” Sebastian tweeted after getting publicly called out for his role in the campaign.
“My heart breaks for this industry & what everyone has had to endure. I will continue to do what I can to help get people back on their feet.”
In getting involved was to be a mouthpiece for my peers, to provide perspective, & to help get funds into the hands of those who need it. My heart breaks for this industry & what everyone has had to endure. I will continue to do what I can to help get people back on their feet.
— Guy Sebastian (@GuySebastian) October 21, 2020
Now, Sebastian’s words are considerably harsher. Speaking with The Herald Sun, Sebastian says that “no one seems to have followed through on their words.” He has again doubled down on the reasons he first signed up for the campaign, saying he “believed” it would “make a difference”, but he acknowledges that “it hasn’t.”
“It was just a box that was ticked,” Sebastian said of the controversial measures.
The government has still not announced any support of the arts industry in the months following the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, despite the fact that the industry has faced a considerable financial blow.