Dylan Voller In Hospital After Suffering Injuries While In Police Custody

Queensland police say that he self-harmed.

Former Northern Territory youth detainee Dylan Voller is in hospital this afternoon after he was arrested for breaching his bail conditions while attending Commonwealth Games protests on the Gold Coast.

There are conflicting reports about how Voller was injured.

Seven News reported that Voller had self-harmed in the back of a police van once he was arrested. However, the ABC said that it “cannot independently verify if Mr Voller self-harmed”.

In a statement, Queensland Police said they arrested five people at this morning’s protest, and that one of those people attempted to self-harm.

“Initial information indicates whilst in the back of the police van, a man attempted to harm himself,” the statement reads. “Officers responded and were able to prevent him from doing so before calling for medical assistance.”

Voller’s mum, Joanne Voller, posted footage on Facebook that appears to show her son being put into the back of a police van.

“Where are you taking him?” protestors asked repeatedly, to no answer.

The protestors spent the morning at Broadbeach to continue their action against Sunrise, a program that has faced criticism for recent segments on Indigenous affairs.

Last month, the show held a segment with two white commentators in which the question was posed: “should white families be allowed to adopt abused Aboriginal children…?”

Earlier this week, Sunrise awkwardly tried to address an Aboriginal protest that was happening behind them, and were widely mocked.

Guardian Australia journalist Jack Latimore said Voller was one of two arrested protestors who had been hospitalised. He also tweeted reports that police demeanour at the Commonwealth Games has “shifted” in the past two days.

He was doubtful about claims that Voller self-harmed.

Voller sprung into the public eye after after footage was revealed by 4 Corners showing him chained to a chair in prison with a hood over his face.

The footage was released as part of a damning exposé into the mistreatment of young adults and teenagers in the Northern Territory prison system, prompting the establishment of the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory.

The final report was handed down near the end of last year. It found that officers used solitary confinement inappropriately, bribed children to perform degrading acts, and subjected detainees to verbal and physical abuse.