Music

The Triple J Unearthed Winners Have Pulled Out Of Splendour After Allegations Of Sexual Assault

"For the time being, all future Football Club plans are put on hold."

Melbourne band The Football Club have announced they are withdrawing from this year’s Splendour In The Grass lineup, after allegations of sexual assault were levelled against one of the group’s members.

The band was added to the festival lineup last week after winning triple j’s Unearthed competition. Previous winners who have gone on to play a slot at Splendour include Alex Lahey, Tired Lion and Airling.

Shortly after The Football Club were named as the Unearthed competition winners allegations of sexual assault involving one of the band’s members began circulating on Facebook. Numerous comments have been posted on triple j’s Facebook page in recent days, alerting the broadcaster to the allegations.

In response triple j said:  “We’re aware of the issue and we understand the band have made a statement and are engaging privately with the people involved. They are still our comp winners and will be on the Splendour line up.”

On Friday the band published a Facebook post denying the allegations and calling them “untrue and defamatory”.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.40.19 pm

However this morning, in another Facebook post, the band announced they were withdrawing from Splendour and said that “all future Football Club plans are put on hold”.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.40.34 pm

triple j has also published a statement confirming the band has dropped off the Splendour lineup.

“triple j Unearthed believes this is the right course of action at this time,” the statement read.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.39.23 pm

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.

Men can access anonymous confidential telephone counselling to help to stop using violent and controlling behaviour through the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.