Terry Crews Is Taking His Alleged Sexual Abuser To Court
"I will not be shamed."
This article discusses sexual assault.
Actor Terry Crews is suing Adam Venit for sexual assault, after alleging the Hollywood agent groped him at a party in February 2016.
Crews first spoke publicly about his alleged assault shortly after the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke. He eventually identified Venit as his alleged abuser during an emotional interview on Good Morning America.
“I have never felt more emasculated, more objectified,” said Crews during the interview. “I was horrified.”
According to Variety, the lawsuit repeats the claim that Venit groped Crews’ genitals and stuck his tongue out in a provocative fashion. It also alleges that Crews told Adam Sandler — who is represented by Venit and was present at the party — about the incident at the time, and that Sandler called Crews later that evening to check up on him.
Crews has been outspoken on social media in recent week about the climate of silence and denial in the entertainment business when it comes to allegations of harassment and assault.
I respect and understand why many of Adam Venit’s @WME clients remain silent, just like many victims do. There is so much to lose. I will not be shamed— but I also will not shame anyone else.
This movement needs leaders, not martyrs https://t.co/h5zejFemlS
— terrycrews (@terrycrews) December 2, 2017
He has also been backed by a number of prominent people in the industry, who have shared messages of support.
— Gabrielle Union (@itsgabrielleu) December 3, 2017
I worked with @terrycrews on Bridesmaids and he is a wonderful, caring person. I fully support Terry and agree that he has not been treated with the respect due to him for coming forward. Hollywood must support all victims of sexual harassment and assault, period. https://t.co/9cXwEUfFh5
— Paul Feig (@paulfeig) December 3, 2017
I didn’t want to go here, but I’m no coward and I fully support you .@terrycrews You are a good man and I’ve experienced exactly how this town gets down & you are doing the right thing brother. Stay the course and know that the truth will always prevail. #ItsTime #NoFear #MeToo pic.twitter.com/dLt6Gk037t
— Isaiah Washington (@IWashington) December 4, 2017
Crews’ lawsuit comes shortly after Venit returned to work at WME talent agency following a brief suspension while the company conducted an investigation into Crews’ claims. Crews responded to the news of Venit’s return to work by tweeting that he was given “a pass”.
According to Crews, WME is named in the lawsuit as well. The actor has previously filed a report about the incident with the Los Angeles Police.
If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.
Men can access anonymous confidential telephone counselling to help to stop using violent and controlling behaviour through the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.