Politics

A Teen Got An Electric Shock From Walking Past Sydney’s Light Rail Construction In The Rain

Classic Sydney public transport.

Just when you thought Sydney’s public transport couldn’t get worse, it electric shocks a passing teen.

Sadly, we’re not kidding — over the weekend, a 15-year-old girl was hospitalised after she received an electric shock when she walked past the light rail construction on George Street.

Just after lunch on Sunday, Anna Lambden was walking through the CBD rain in damp socks (her high heels were killing her). As she waited to cross the road at the intersection of George Street and Ultimo Road, she started to feel a shock in her legs and feet.

It wasn’t just a little shock, either — Anna’s mum told the ABC that “she was screaming out and then she dropped into the foetal position with her legs tucked up next to her”.

Bystanders tried to help, but anyone who touched her was also shocked. According to her mum, Anna thought she was going to die. She’s fine now, after being taken to hospital, but it was a pretty intense experience.

Roads and Maritime Services said the shock was caused by an “issue with an exposed wire” that has now been fixed. They also said there’ll be a “thorough investigation”, and yeah, we hope so. Teens should be free to traverse the city in wet socks without nearly dying.

It’d be great if we also ended up with a working light rail system at some point.

_

Feature image by Nick D on Wikimedia Commons, used under CC BY-SA 4.0