We’re Hiring! Come And Be Junkee’s News And Politics Editor
Australia’s leading youth content publisher, Junkee Media, has a rare and exciting opening for a News & Politics Editor to join our editorial team in Surry Hills, Sydney.
Junkee launched five years ago with a remit to shake up Australia’s pop culture landscape. With a fresh take and unique attitude, Junkee quickly established itself as one of the most interesting new voices in Australian media. Junkee’s funny, smart, ballsy and interesting take on news, film, politics, TV and more has seen it develop a strong following.
Now we’re on the hunt for a full-time News & Politics Editor, to help us grow our footprint and make a real impact in the online news and politics space.
The Ideal Candidate
Will be an experienced editor and writer who is obsessed by news and politics — and not just the politics happening in Canberra. We want to talk about all the ways politics and policies affect young people around Australia.
You will write, commission and edit daily content across a wide variety of topics, covering breaking news, politics, world news and opinion. You’ll have a passion for delivering shareable content that engages and excites Junkee’s audience, and you’ll be looking to shake up Australia’s political media landscape
You’ll have a wide and diverse list of contacts to draw from in order to create highly engaging content that will stand out in a crowded marketplace, while keeping Junkee’s audience informed and entertained.
You will be well versed in social media and how to get your content seen as widely as possible, so a proven track record of amplifying content digitally will be looked upon very favourably.
You’ll also be able to write content that stands out from the crowd, with a keen nose for what makes a great story and the ability to find stories, angles and opinions that will most interest Junkee’s audience.
An obsessive love for correct grammar and an aversion to dangling modifiers is required. We’re looking for someone who has a unique tone of voice, can write a snappy headline and who knows the difference between clickable and clickbait.
We want someone who is passionate about telling stories that matter to Junkee’s young, highly engaged audience, and who loves what we do and wants to collaborate with a growing team as we look expand Junkee’s footprint across the news, entertainment and pop culture space.
- Commission and edit content from our team of writers, producers and freelancers that engages our audience and complements the work produced by our in-house team
- Stay up to date and respond to the latest in Australian entertainment, pop culture and news
- Work with the Managing Editor, site editors and staff writers to make sure that all content is on brand, optimised for user experience and SEO, and executed to the highest standards.
- Implement best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style
- Sub-edit copy
- Amplify content through social media
The Ideal Applicant
- Tertiary qualification in communications, journalism, professional writing/editing or a related discipline
- At least three years’ experience in digital media, with a proven track record of producing highly engaging, impactful content
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in digital copywriting and editing
- Published examples of writing across Australian news and entertainment, publishers
- A deep knowledge of distributing content through social media including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and Tumblr.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment both autonomously and in a team
- Experience using Google Analytics and Facebook Insights to track content performance
Apply Here Before Monday, April 2
Due to the high volume of applications Junkee Media receives, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Apply here.